You’re driving peacefully down a road in Spruce Grove and suddenly you hear a “ding!” You look down at your dashboard and see a flashing red light. That red light that tells you your engine needs to be serviced can appear for a variety of matters and should be addressed as soon as possible. Neglecting service to your vehicle’s engine can result in extensive and expensive repairs that could have initially been a quick fix. Here are a few possible reasons why your check engine light is showing:

Oxygen Sensor Is Malfunctioning

One reason your check engine light may be on is that your oxygen sensor has malfunctioned. Also referred to as an O2 sensor, it performs routine assessments on the levels of unburned oxygen remaining in your vehicle’s exhaust system. If you leave the malfunctioning O2 sensor in your vehicle without receiving maintenance, your engine will ultimately use more fuel than necessary. It will also ruin your fuel economy and can potentially ruin your spark plugs and increase your chances of failing an emission test.

Your Gas Cap Is Damaged

A very common symptom for a flashing ‘check engine’ sign is that your gas cap is either loose or cracked. The gas cap on your vehicle is imperative for your vehicle’s fuel system because it ensures that there is a correct amount of pressure within the gas tank and stops fumes from escaping the gas tank. Thankfully, for individuals with an ineffective gas cap, they can find replacements at their local auto shop and have it replaced relatively inexpensively.

Failing Catalytic Converter

Your catalytic converter is a component that is unified within your exhaust system, and it works to convert carbon monoxide emissions into carbon dioxide throughout the fuel combustion process. A catalytic converter failure can be avoided by ensuring that your vehicle receives routine maintenance when needed. It is vital that you ensure it stays in good health because a new catalytic converter will cost you $500 or more. Drivers who do a lot of in-city cruising are at a higher risk of having a clogged unit, so it is recommended that you take your car out for some highway driving at least once a month to ensure all toxic fumes are flushed out of your vehicle.

Dead Battery

When your battery is nearly dead it will trigger multiple warnings that are visible on your dashboard; many lights that you’ve never even seen before will now be lit, and it may even worry you. This is often a sign that your battery is reaching the end of its lifespan and that you will need to invest in a new one. Thankfully, batteries are manufactured to sustain extreme temperatures and require minimal maintenance, but upon discovering your battery is dying, it would be wise not to drive and instead make plans to buy a new battery and have it professionally installed.

Whether it be your oxygen sensor (O2 sensor), your gas cap, a failing catalytic converter, or your dying battery, never take your flashing ‘check engine’ light in jest; bring it to Grove AutoPro & Tire immediately.